Brechin Hill is one of the older parts of the city and is known for its variety of unique character homes. Many of these houses offer spectacular views of the ocean and Newcastle Island. Though Brechin is an older area of the city, many of these homes have been modernized, while others have maintained their original character look. Brechin Hill is close to Nanaimo’s downtown core, making this quaint area even more appealing to those looking to be within close proximity to local shopping and amenities. Residents of the Brechin area have easy access to Bowen Park where they can enjoy the walking trails, outdoor pool, tennis and beach volleyball courts, and a disc golf course. Bowen Park also offers a community centre as well as two large picnic shelters, making this an ideal location for large events.
- Brechin Elementary – 510 Millstone Ave., Nanaimo V9S 5A9 – 250 754-7523; fax: 250 754-8314, Principal Diane Goodman, Secretary Lynn Hughes; Kindergarten to Grade 7: 168 students
- Cilaire Elementary – 25 Cilaire Drive, Nanaimo V9S 3C9 – 250 758-7941; fax: 250 751-8840, Principal Mike Ireland, Secretary Darlene Ludvigson; Kindergarten to Grade 7: 205 students
- Learn@Home K-7 – 3004 Departure Bay Road, Nanaimo V9T 1B4 – 250 751-2197; toll-free 1-866-740-2037; fax: 250 758-3915, Principal Scott Saywell, Coordinator Darrell Letourneau, Secretary Sharon Binng
- Ecole Quarterway Elementary School – 1632 Bowen Rd., Nanaimo V9S 1G6 – 250 754-6845; fax: 250 754-6871, Principal Peter Hewitt, Vice-Principal Margaret Yung, Secretary Barb Hickson; Kindergarten to Grade 7 (Dual track – English and French Immersion): 386 students
Francophone – School District 93:
- The Conseil scolaire francophone has 38 schools across the province. (250) 714-0761 1951 Estevan Rd, Nanaimo, BC