Offering some of the best ocean views in Nanaimo, Departure Bay is a family-friendly neighbourhood where two hills meet above the bay and beach. This area offers a mix of both newer and older homes in a variety of styles and price points. Homes in this neighbourhood are near tons of amenities including Country Club Shopping Center. Locals are drawn to the golf course, Sugarloaf Mountain Park, Pipers Lagoon, and of course, Departure Bay Beach.
Departure Bay features all types of homes, from condos and modest split-levels to luxury homes perched on the rocky bluffs. Some of the residences back onto the Nanaimo Golf Course where tall evergreens, willows, and maple trees frame picture-perfect views. This neighbourhood is in a convenient location with schools, parks, and shopping malls all just a quick drive away.
- Cilaire Elementary – 25 Cilaire Drive, Nanaimo V9S 3C9 – 250 758-7941; fax: 250 751-8840, Principal Mike Ireland, Secretary Darlene Ludvigson; Kindergarten to Grade 7: 205 students
- Departure Bay Elementary – 3004 Departure Bay Rd., Nanaimo V9T 1B4 – 250 758-6541; fax: 250 751-1617, Principal Lisa Frey, Secretary Lisa DeOliveira; Kindergarten to Grade 7: 203 students
- Learn@Home K-7 – 3004 Departure Bay Road, Nanaimo V9T 1B4 – 250 751-2197; toll free 1-866-740-2037; fax: 250 758-3915, Principal Scott Saywell, Coordinator Darrell Letourneau, Secretary Sharon Binng
- Rock City Elementary – 3741 Departure Bay Rd., Nanaimo V9T 1C5 – 250 758-2434; fax: 250 758-4831, Principal Lillian Carefoot, Secretary Debbie Babcock; Kindergarten to Grade 7: 315 students
- Wellington Secondary – 3135 Mexicana Rd., Nanaimo V9T 2W8 – 250 758-9191; fax: 250 758-3352, Principal Steve Thompson, Vice-Principals Lisa Peace and Carol Girard, Secretary Judy Willett; Grades 8 to 12: 1032 students
- Ecole Quarterway Elementary School – 1632 Bowen Rd., Nanaimo V9S 1G6 – 250 754-6845; fax: 250 754-6871, Principal Peter Hewitt, Vice-Principal Margaret Yung, Secretary Barb Hickson; Kindergarten to Grade 7 (Dual track – English and French Immersion): 386 students
Francophone – School District 93
- The Conseil scolaire francophone has 38 schools across the province. (250) 714-0761 1951 Estevan Rd, Nanaimo, BC